Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sleeping [HA!] through the night

Since we brought the Squirt home he has been sleeping in a cradle in our room. We currently have the pins out so that we can rock him when he is fidgety. He's very funny. He wiggles himself so that he is laying against one side of the cradle and that is how he sleeps. It may look alarming to someone walking into the room because it looks as if the cradle has been stopped in mid flip. But, that's just how he likes to sleep. I think it may simulate someone holding him and he likes to be constricted when he sleeps so I think mashing himself agaist the edge of the cradle accomplishes that for him.

The Squirt's 3 month birthday is coming up next week so we have decided that it is time for him to sleep in his own room. I think it will help him to learn to sleep through the night. It seems that's what worked for Dani. So last night, our little baby went to bed in his room. I put him in there at 6:45 and I think he fell asleep around 7:30. He just laid in there awake. No fussing or even cooing. Just chillin'.

I passed out before 10 in my bed. E was still up playing on the computer (which is better by the way. He did something to it when he got home and now it works great) and at 11:30 the baby started fussing so E gave him a bottle. The next thing I knew it was 1:30, too early for him to eat again, and I could hear him fussing and fidgeting on the monitor. I went in, gave him his bink then went to lay back down. And I didn't hear him again until 4:15. So, not bad for the first night.

However, I have effectively been awake since then. He has dozed a few times since then, not really wanted a full meal, or to go back to sleep until about 20 minutes ago. So, I've been back and forth across the house since then trying to feed, rebink, or rock. I finally gave up at 6:30 and just laid him on the floor to play. Which I guess is what he wanted because he cooed, squealed, ahhed, smiled, and kicked until he wore himself out.

Dani woke up at 5 [HUH!!!] and wanted to watch TV. Sorry sister, I'll let you snooze on the couch but we are not watching TV at 5 in the morning.

I think with a little schedule manipulation in the evenings I can have him sleeping through the night by the end of next week. I'll try anyway.

No comments: