Sunday, November 09, 2008

Politics

My mother doesn't vote. Any practicing J's Witness don't vote. They believe that by voting you are putting someone else in charge of your life instead of God. At least, that is the way I understand it... I could be wrong. They also don't say the Pledge because they believe that is a form of idolotry. Meaning worhiping the flag instead of God. However, she did have her opinions on the election and who should win and why and if a particular candidate did win, then he would be assassinated and another particular candidate has been tortured and my flip out during his presidency and go crazy.

Now, for 3 weeks before the election, I spent hours reading each candidate's website and what their proposals were on the issues. And I liked one more than the other and that is who I voted for. My mom however had listened to a lot of the propaganda that was flying around and was very concerned about what she had heard. So, I had to educate her on several issues.

Politics came up a few times during the visit mainly when SDad would joke that he voted for "a dead man walking" (meaning Obama). That made me sick. And he didn't anyway, he just thought it was funny. And I think that's what really bothered me about most of the election. The public, and journalists seemed to always bring race into the equation. And I kept thinking it didn't matter. He is a man. Running for President. And he has good ideas and actual plans. Can we just look at that?

I liked Stephen Colbert's obsersavtion best (loosely quoted), "America, for the first time in history, we have a..... Hawaiin president."

Aloha.

3 comments:

Jennefer said...

Woohoo for Obama! And that is coming from a military family too- Well a military wife anyway.

Anna said...

I personally believe it's better to let people keep more of their money instead of the government taking more and letting them decide what's best for us... but that's just me. I think it will be dangerous economically to raise taxes during a recession... it can lead to a depression but we'll just have to see what happens.

Anyhoo, enjoy your day!

cartla2 said...

http://cartla2.xanga.com/weblog/?uni-22-direction=p&uni-22-nextdate=10%2f19%2f2008+22%3a1%3a16.443#module--22