Monday, November 24, 2008

Showing my age

Internet, today is my birthday.

32.

In my teens and twenties, I loved this day. I felt so grown up. Now, in my 30's, it doesn't hold the same joy for me.... I guess because I really am grown up. Last night we went to a little Chinese place for dinner. Afterward we wandered around a grocery store and E and Dani "snuck" a cake and some ice cream into the cart. E told me he would like to and I suggested telling Dani and making it a surprise. So, I played dumb the whole time. Dani was practically bursting with excitement the whole way home and she even suggested that I "fold a load of laundry or something as soon as we got home". The expression on Dani's face after I had folded that load of laundry and they had called me out of my room was priceless.

I would like to commemorate this day by listing things that show my age; bullet style.

  • I started clipping coupons. You can now hear me squealing down the grocery aisles at E saying, "Wait, I have a coupon for that!"
  • I misplaced our house phone last week and didn't find it for 6 days. 6 DAYS!!! It is now absolutely dead and will not recharge at all. Thankfully we have another handset.
  • I am wearing socks and Crocs.
  • I can remember my mother turning 32.
  • I can remember taping songs off the radio.
  • For that matter, I don't understand the music that kids are listening to nowadays.
  • I yell at everyone else's kids as much as I yell at my own.
  • I'm quite grumpy the majority of the time.
  • I'm starting to enjoy waking up at 6 am because it gives me a few more hours in the day to get things done. (Though I currently spend that few extra hours on the computer, but I'm getting stuff done on the computer.)
  • I drive the speed limit.
  • I don't like other drivers.
  • I started reading the Sunday paper and tsking at the headlines.
  • I regale Dani with tales of how little I had at her age and how she needs to be more grateful.
  • I seem to have lots of advice for other people.
  • I think 25 is young.
  • I don't answer my phone unless I know the person calling. And sometimes not even then.
  • I cried when Dani sang "Happy Birthday" to me.

What do you do that makes you feel older?

3 comments:

Yo-yo Mama said...

Read posts about people turning 32 that describes themselves as "old".

*le sigh*

Happy Birthday, you whipper-snapper!

T P said...

Happy Birthday!!! (I knew it was your B-day... my phone reminds me... relentlessly)... But just think, even if you could go back to when you were 25, you'd never do it;-)

Lynn said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday.. It's not that bad being in your 30's. I just turned 34 in August and I love it! I have had a better time with life in my 30's.. not so much in my 20's.. The one thing that makes me see how old I am is knowing I have a 14 yr old.. It's hard to understand because sometimes it feels like it was yesterday I was her age.. but thankfully I am not :) Did you get the card we sent yet?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!