Thursday, November 06, 2008

Dad

My Dad. He is a hard person to love. And talk to. And understand. Of course while growing up I thought he was mean and once I reached adolescence I even wished that my parents would get divorced. Well, they did. When I was 13. Not such a bad age for me. I got the benefit of being raised by both of my parents through my most formative years. I attribute that to the vast difference between my siblings and I.

We had a dairy farm until I was 8. Then my parents went bankrupt, lost the cows, and my dad got a job working in a fabrication shop 3 hours from home. He stayed up there all week, then came home on the weekends. That didn't last long, maybe a year. Then my parents switched roles. My mom started working, and my dad stayed home. This is when things started to go downhill.

My mom started working in insurance sales and her office was about 45 minute drive from home. She also went on client calls which kept her out late several nights. At least this is what she told us. That situation worked for a couple of years, then my mom wanted to move closer to her office. So we did. Within months, my parents were split up. My dad had a breakdown and was hospitalized.

That was a difficult time for me. Looking back on it now, I think a lot of it was my fault. My mom, in kind of a backward way, asked me for advice on what to do about my dad's overbearing protectiveness. The rebellious teenager (barely 13) in me told her to get a divorce. I wanted my dad to leave. So that is what she told him. About 7 years ago I was visiting him and he told me that the reason my mom told him to leave was because I wanted him to. Sure, the kid in me wanted it. But I really resent the fact that my mom used me as an excuse to get what she really wanted.

When they split up, my mom still worked very long nights leaving me in charge of my sisters and my brother ranging from kindergarten age to 5th grade. It was really hard. My brother, last time he visited, told me that all of the late nights that she 'worked' were really a cover for her meeting her lover. Her boss who was married and had several of his own children. T also told me that they had started their affair before we even moved. So, my mom telling my dad that I wanted him to leave.... was a cover up. She wasn't even adult enough to just tell him that she didn't want to be with him.

So that is the backstory. There is a lot more to tell, but I don't think you have all day to read it, and I can't put that much into it right now.

While my mom was here last week, Dani asked who all of her grandparents were. We've had this discussion with her several times as she has quite a few. E's mom is the only one who hasn't gotten remarried. So, I was telling her that my mom and dad used to be married, they had 4 kids, then decided not to be married anymore. End of story, right? No. My mother decides to add that she and my dad used to fight all the time, then they didn't love each other anymore, and that there was something wrong with my dad's head that makes him sick.

What am I supposed to say to that? I didn't say what I wanted to. I just said, "Mom, she talks to him on the phone." Meaning that if she talks to him, she might repeat some of that and really hurt my dad's feelings. She didn't even really acknowledge what I said.

It made me angry. And there were several other times over the week that she would tell stories (not when Dani was here) about my dad's mental state and how it affected her.

All the while, I'm thinking, "Well, I'd be pretty screwed up if my spouse was cheating on me too."

And he knew. He told me he knew. He was and is very hurt over it. Someday I would like to confront my mom about it. To tell her that she's not as slick as she thinks she is. To tell her that just because she has herself convinced that everything was someone else's fault doesn't make it true. To tell her that she made her decisions and she knew it was wrong and she needs to just admit it.

It's draining. I get drained just thinking about confronting her. Part of me wishes that she would even stumble across this blog.... just not while she is here. But I know that it would really hurt her feelings..... then I wonder why I care.

"SDad loves me... just in the wrong ways... like your dad."

Like her's was right.

4 comments:

Yo-yo Mama said...

Your mom definitely used you, even if she wasn't having an affair. How could she even say that to her husband, your father, that YOU wanted to get the divorce. YOU weren't married to him. SHE was.

If she wants to point out mental states, she might want to go look in the mirror. I'm sure you love them both in your own way, and I don't want to hurt your feelings, but that was pretty cold and irresponsible what she said to Dani.

Maggie said...

Wow. I feel bad for your 13-year-old self. It was terribly wrong for your mother to put you in that position and it was terribly wrong for her to use you as an excuse for divorcing your dad. Obviously, by what she said to Dani, your mom is still wrapped in her own world and doesn't think about how her words will affect others.

What I think is admirable and great is, though your family and past still can hurt you, you've turned the lessons you learned into good things. You're a good mom who's sensitive to her daughter's need to understand things honestly, but at an age-appropriate level. You've become a person who understands the need for family -- it's evident in how tight your own family is -- yet you won't let the toxicity of other family members change you.

Lynn said...

My situation is not quite the same as yours as you know, my parents are still together but I wished they weren't when I was your age.. I had a tough childhood being raised by an overbearing mother and a submissive father. Being kicked out and emmancipated at the ripe age of 16 didn't help.. But I felt free of living 'her' life. All I can say is that I went through almost 20 years after that time dealing with the rollercoaster of living on pins and needles with my Mom's emotions until three years ago, I couldn't do it anymore. You know the story of Christmas but that changed who I was.. I can no longer "BE" that person anymore. I have written a 6 page letter to my Mom about all the past issues that have plagued me. I know it's wrong but at the time I didn't care if it hurt her feelings because I was really hurt myself and she wanted to be the child and me the adult. I still to this day, do not have a relationship with her, but she knows where I stand now and I know she knows.. It's her call now and I am very happy I did what I did.. For me and my family and my future.. Please consider writing to her. It will eat you alive if you don't find some sort of closure to this.. I know from experience that it is very freeing to finally let go of the past.. My heart is with you, Erik, Dani and Geran even know we are so far away. You are in my prayers..If you ever need to talk, I am hear.. HUGS from your Sis in law...

Linda said...

Liv, your parents' divorce was NOT YOUR FAULT. In ANY way. It makes me so angry that your mom would use you as a coverup for her own actions. It's irrepsonsible and borders on abuse to use a kid that way and heap up that kind of damage. I'm really sorry.

I love what Maggie said in her second paragraph about how you've halted that cycle and become the mom your mother wasn't. You are an excellent mother to Dani and the Squirt. Don't let that bitterness poison you.

xoxox