Thursday, January 18, 2007

Village Idiot

This post from Elle today got me thinking. My pet peeve is nonparenting parents. In the comments I said that I follow and agree with the philosophy that "it takes a village to raise a child". It also got me thinking about something that I did this past weekend.

E, Dani, and I were driving home from an afternoon on the beach. We were on a residential street and down the way a little bit was a group of about 5 middle school age kids. There is no sidewalk on this street so the kids were in the road. As I got closer, the 5th one started walking further into the road in front of me. I got about 150 away and the girl right next to her pushed her farther into the street and they ambled the rest of the way across giggling the whole way. It really irritates me when people do that, especially kids, and even more when my child is an observer. When I got to them, I slammed on the brakes, put E's window down and yelled out the window, "Hey, that's not funny! Don't do it again! You're going to get ran over!" I stopped, I think, before my voice morphed into an inaudible shrill. I almost said, "Next time you do that, I'll run your ass over", but I thought that might have been overkill.

2 comments:

Elle said...

I'm not sure what it is with parents these days not teaching their children common sense. I don't blame the kids. I totally blame the parents.

Jennefer said...

just wait until you have a middle schooler that you thought you parented-and you thought they were listening to you all this time- you will have to hold your tongue more than you ever thought you would have to

hopefully it is a passing phase