Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Open House/Open Book

Heeheeheee...

We went to Dani's Open House at school tonight. Well, first she got off the bus in tears because I did not come to her school today for Open House. She didn't realize that it was a nighttime function. Once I explained to her that we would go in a little while, she calmed down.

She really likes school, but not for the purpose of school. She is a chatterbox. She talks all. the. time. And she never gets tired. Her teacher, who is endearingly sweet, said to us, "Oh, I definitely want to have a conference with. Please sign up." I guess Dani comes up with some really off the wall stuff in class. It's all imagination which the teacher loves, I think she just wants Dani to learn how to structure it. She also is having some trouble turning in her work and she is not a fan of writing. But, school has only been in for 3 weeks and already she is reading and writing much stronger.

Her teacher made a comment about all of the students reading at a very low level, even for Kindergarten. She said she's never seen assessments that low. I read the assessment that she gave me for Dani, and I really don't see that it is accurate. First, it was given in the first week of school and the improvement that I have seen has been in the past week and a half or so.

Dani also told her teacher that she hates pink poodles because "one time, one bit me". Ok... first we have never met a pink poodle. Second, she's never been bitten. A couple of weeks ago she had our neighbors convinced that we had gotten a new puppy and they wanted to see it. We did not get a new puppy so we had to tell Dani that if you want to tell people a story, that is wonderful. But you need to tell people that it is a story.

I really like Dani's school. It is a primary school, K-2 with about 750 students. What really blows me away is that there is another school in our town that also has 750 students. JUST in the primary schools. There are also 2 intermediate, 1 middle and 1 high school. Our town is only 1 school district of about 10 in our county.

So we are scheduling a conference with the teacher. Hopefully she will begin to get more on task and go with the flow of the classroom schedule. But to be honest, I don't really expect much. I could never seem to concentrate in school and I was constantly forgetting my homework at school or home, library books, and lunch money. I attribute my bad childhood memory skills to the formation of my overly structured and organized daily life. I remember training myself to follow a routine starting in the morning with the order that I washed myself in the shower to how I brushed my teeth before bed. I joke that I am a little OCD, but I fear that I really am sometimes.

A counseling post is coming up. I know you all must be on the edge of your seats... all what, 10 of you?

2 comments:

Jennefer said...

I think it takes a while to adjust from summer into the school year. I think her teacher needs to chill out a little. My memory is bad too. I have to have a lot of structure and write everything down.

Anonymous said...

New teacher, maybe? New assesment system? I'm sure Dani will do fine. Her storytelling made me laugh; I was just like that as a child. My grandfather once told me that when I did something wrong in kindergarten I made up a story about a little mouse who came in and did whatever it was I was getting in trouble for.

And yes, you can count me as one of the ten on the edge of her seat. :-p