Sunday, August 26, 2007

Love is in the Air.... I think

This week, on the 29th, is mine and E's 9th anniversary. We have always tried to do something special to commemorate that day. Our wedding was a double ceremony with another couple who we shared an apartment with. I guess I was too annoying, cooked better than her, and was too clean, didn't drink enough, and liked going to bed too early so that arrangement didn't last more than 10 months after we got married. After they moved out, we only saw them once more.
Anyway, we got married on the beach. I'll have to dig out a photo later.* It was a lovely day and since we have moved back down here we took Dani there a couple of times. She gets huge satisfaction from being where we got married. She is a true romantic.

Our honeymoon consisted of 3 nights in a top floor corner room of a wonderful hotel on the island. Actually, it was very close to the hotel where we stayed while waiting for the house to close last year. We only left the room once because we thought we should at least go out to dinner. We raided the snack machine right outside of our room and had room service. One of the days, it might have been that Sunday, we layed in bed all day long, and wacthed an Animaniacs marathon. It is still one of my favorite memories of our honeymoon. I don't know why, maybe because it is so silly. Also one night we moved the sleeper sofa from our room out onto the balcony and we slept outside.

Our first anniversary we took a trip to Colonial Williamsburg. We loved it. I am a history freak, and I love old houses and buildings. I fell in love with Virginia on that trip and I would love to live there someday.

Our second anniversary, we found a B&B at the base of Mt. Hood, Oregon. I loved it there. It was so beautiful. We took a drive up to the mountain and saw the Timberline lodge and saw people skiing. We drove back down the mountain and found a lovely lake that we walked around. It was so peaceful.

Shortly before our 3rd anniversary Dani was born. So we didn't do anything that year. The next one E was deployed. For our 5th, we were in Alaska and all we could really do was go out to dinner. Which was fantastic. The 6th, we stayed at another B&B (I can't get the website to come up) in Anchorage with Dani in tow. For our 7th, I don't know what we did. And last year..... maybe we went to dinner. I don't remember.

Typing all of that out makes me realize that the last few years have been kind of rough. My favorites were the first 2. We are trying to make an effort this year. We don't have many funds because every extra dollar goes to my friend because we are buying her van. We only have $1000 left to give her.

Neither one of us is good at coming up with ideas. E wants to go shopping and go out to dinner, but there is that pesky money thing. So, I suggested a picnic on the beach. It seems harder this year because we aren't really doing that well together. We still love each other, and are attracted to each other, but I guess I am the problem.

My heart is just not into anything. And I find that very sad and not celebratory at all.


*BTW, I don't have a scanner, so whenever I want to upload a picture that I don't have on disk or memory stick I take a picture of it with my digital camera. I can zoom in so that all I see is the photo itself. Then I can put it on the computer. That's what I did with my profile picture in the corner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your honeymoon sounds delightful! I love that Dani loves being where you were married. I was like that as a child, too, so hearing about her makes me smile.

I'm sorry that your heart is so hurt right now. I wish I had some advice that would help; I want to be able to fix this for you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Elle said...

I've been there. For our 7th D planned this romantic trip to Victoria, BC. We stayed in a B&B, saw the sights, but my heart just wasn't in it. I was in a very dark place in life. I look back on that point and time and try to think of it as a learning experience. However, if there is one thing I could do over, it would be that weekend. We worked through that point, but it took us almost a year. On our 8th anniversary, he booked us a stay at a spa in the town where we celebrated our 1st anniversary. I will always remember that one as my favorite.

The point is, not all anniversaries are great. But you work hard at your marriage to make it to the ones that are spectacular.

DD said...

I tried to wish you a Happier Annivserary but my computer was being wonky. Figures.

I say this year just plan something fab for your 10th. Every year doesn't have to be something "special".