Monday, August 06, 2007

My New Dining Room

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I undertook a redecorating project. My dining room. In my post D&C stupor I didn't take before pictures so I had to search through our pictures and I found one of the dining room from February at E's birthday party. He had the best time. Only women were there. Anyway, notice the pansy border, pansy valances, and I don't know if you can see, but the walls are covered in plaid wallpaper. You may remember last July or August, I redid the kitchen in that blue to the left.

My plan was to bring the blue the rest of the way into the dining room and have the bottoms of the walls white. I thought that wainscoting would be a homey and comforting touch.

So, I stripped the wallpaper. Underneath the walls were yellow, so just in case, I primed them. Then I got out my blue paint and painted the walls. Then I painted the window sills the same white that I painted my cabinets last year. After the painting, E helped me figure out the measurements to cut out the window shapes in the wainscoting and I did that with a jigsaw. Then E and I took a crash course in how to use a mitre saw and box to put up the chair rail and molding around the windows. Here is what we ended up with. I really like it.


I am accenting with black iron accessories. I plan on getting some kind of black light fixture and we want to put white crown molding along the ceiling. We want to take the crown molding through to the living room as well to try to blend the blue and cashew color that we have in the living room. Also, way down the road, I want to extend the tile in the living room throughout the kitchen and into the bathrooms. But that is far away. For now, I can live with the green floor.
Next I think I want to do Dani's room. It is currently a very dark but cheery blue color. I am thinking white on the bottom half of the walls with art centers like a dry erase board mounted onto the wall, or a chalkboard. On the top half of the walls I haven't made up my mind if I would like to see different shades of pink stripes, purple stripes, or both. I'm trying to get Dani's input but she wants her room like it was in Alaska. Which I can't find right now, but it was a pink jungle. Complete with palm trees, monkeys, giraffe, elephant, and flamingo. All painted in pink. It was delicious.

6 comments:

DD said...

Plaid? What plaid?

(I definitely like the AFTER)

Anonymous said...

Liv, it looks awesome! You guys did such a great job. We have a black wrought-iron chandelier from Pottery barn (came with the house) that would look great with that paint. Try looking on the web, you might find it.

Jennefer said...

Looks great! Maybe I will hire you someday.

A Room to Grow said...

Wow, after seeing the plaid I was happy to read that it was the BEFORE pic!

twirl said...

awesome job!

Maggie said...

Looks great. I have to tell you that I was a bit nervous, though. I had this post saved in Bloglines for a while. Without reading it (or scrolling down) I thought the plaid was the AFTER picture.