Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Moving with the military is FUN!!


I have been putting off telling you all about our trip from Alaska to Canada cuz you know, I’ve been so busy…. sitting by the pool, tanning, and eating at every fabulous restaurant in town. Let me say first off, thank you all so much for your words of encouragement regarding my Mom. It really meant a lot to me and it solidified my position on how important stability is. Thank You.
Now, onto our first day of travel. E had his out processing appointment at 10 am. Now, when military members leave one base for another, they are given a checklist of all the places that they need to clear to get taken out of their systems. No problem….unless there are offices not on the list. Like dental, immunizations, immunizations for your dependents. So, E goes to his appt.

No dental records.

So we drive to the clinic to get his records. He was so ticked, he just dropped his stuff on the floor and came out. He didn’t bring a copy of his orders. Thankfully, they gave him what he needed anyway.

We go back with his dental records.

No immunization clearance.

So, we go back to the clinic to get his records.

While he is in there, he gets a copy of Dani’s records because ‘we need them for the border’. He can’t get mine because he doesn’t have a release form.

So, I go in and get my records.

We go back with our records in hand, and E finally gets all his documents sealed.

It is currently 12:00. An appointment that should have taken 30 minutes TOPS took two hours because their ‘checklist’ has not been updated.

So, we finally leave the base and are 2 hours behind. We hoped to get to Whitehorse by the evening but got to Haines Junction instead which was about 4 hours east of Whitehorse. But we made it out of Alaska and into Canada.

I don’t think that anything spectacular happened on that first day. We were just really glad to be on the road. Oh, and they never asked to see our shot records.

3 comments:

Jennefer said...

This sounds so typical military. We get to move with them next year. It is always a fun experience.

After 9/11 they wouldn't let me in my house once because I didn't have proper I.D. on me. I had to sit in this office place for a long time until M could vouch that I really was his wife.

Rhonda said...

Well that sounds like an interesting start to your trip. You had to fight to get out of Alaska!

CarolinaGirl said...

WOW!. I can't believe all that you had to go through. I am glad that you guys made it. I hope everything is going well for you. Let us know how you are.

Caroline