Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm a big tease

Dani in the pool? Nay you say? Ha! I say. She is offically a water baby. I conquered her fear by teasing her into thinking I would let her hold onto the railing on the steps. I let her get close then pulled her back and said, "No, you can't grab that railing!" Which is a game that we play daily, "No, you can't brush your teeth; get dressed; eat that sandwich; or anything else that I want you to do." Reverse psychology? Yeah, I'm a pro.

Now she jumps in, will wear floaties, and we even held hands and swam to the rope that designates the deep end. I can't believe how much she did so quickly. I think for the past couple of weeks she has been watching all of the other kids in the pool and once she trusted me that I wasn't going to let her flounder, she was ready to go. I'm really proud but very exhausted. She wants to be in the water all the time. I guess I created a monster.

Next, I want to teach her the doggie paddle.

And I need some help. I am really tired of eating in restraunts. I want to cook. Does anyone have any meal ideas that I can put together on paper plates using a microwave? My waistline will thank you.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Go Dani! Good for her.

I don't have any microwave suggestions, though.

Rhonda said...

Awww, sounds like she is adjusting quite well to Florida.

Anonymous said...

You can get some flat bread or pocketless pita, top with veggies, salsa or sauce and cheese and microwave. That's my husband's version of cooking while I'm away. You can also manage to do veggie tacos without having to figure how to cook the meat. Good luck!

Jennefer said...

That is great that Dani is getting used to the water and enjoying it. I think learning to swim is important (for safety reasons and for fun). That reverse psychology game sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should try that. "No you can't get straight A's." I don't know if it will work, but worth a try :). As far as the meal thing- I am not sure. Maybe you should try eating out at Subway.

A Room to Grow said...

I lived with just a microwave for a year, and there are tons of recipes. (Need to dig out an old microwave cookbook, popular when microwaves were the hip cooking tool.)

You can cook pasta in the microwave (boil the water first, add the pasta and continue cooking like you would on a stove) and add your favorite sauce.

Tuna casserole works well for this too. Cook the noodles (I like egg noodles) in a casserole dish, remove the water. On a separate dish, cut up some onion & celery & cook for 1-2 mintues in butter. Add this to noodles, plus a can of cream of mushroom soup, canned mushrooms, canned tuna x2, cup of frozen peas, and enough water/milk/mayo to give the desired "wetness". Mix together and warm up 10-15 minutes or so on ROAST.

Alternatively, I ate alot of bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwiches.

Canned soups, bread & salad...