Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Home Improvement A Go~ Go


I know you are all dying to see my new kitchen....or you forgot I was doing it. I actually finished last weekend but I haven't wanted to mess with resizing the pictures. But know that I am BORED because of school, I had time.

Here is what my kitchen looked like the day we moved in. It was very cozy, had a nice pansy border, white walls, and was clean, thank goodness. The cabinets are probably the original ones when the house was built. The floor is a dark green faux marble linoleum tile (self adhesive). I liked the kitchen but it just didn't seem to be me, so I was thumbing through a book (Trading Spaces) and found a cute kitchen that I loved. And it was within my price range.

The first thing I did was sand everything with fine grain sandpaper, took off all the hardware, and took off the cabinet doors. Then everything got a coat of white primer. The cabinet faces were left original and a coat of crackle glaze was brushed on. When that dried, I put on a coat of Country White paint. I love the antique look and the crackle came out really nice.






This is the wall that was behind the open door in picture 1. I painted the edges of the top cabinet doors Coutry White as well as the cabinet frames. Two coats. On the bottom cabinet doors I outlined a blue color. I liked the color and decided to put it on the walls as well. The whole thing turned out looking French Country and I love it.








Here is the wall opposite the sink. For the finishing touches, I got all new hardware in a silver finish. Cabinet hinges, and handles. I also got all new switchplate and outlet covers in silver. They really add a nice modern flair to the country look. Now, my dilemma is that my nice, expensive Long*berger sage pottery does not match the blue. *sigh* I don't think they make those crocks anymore either. So if anyone has blue or white Long*berger crocks, maybe we could trade?

So this is the first home improvement project in our new house.

You vote:
Yay or Nay

(Nay doesnt' really matter, cuz I'm not changing it. Ha!)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job- we've done more kitchen renovations than I can count and its always nice when things are back in order. Can't help you on the pottery- never heard of it. Although we have kind of a sage & burgundy pattern in our kitchen and it sounds like the sage would work here. (wink, wink)

Elle said...

Nice! We did a budget makeover on our kitchen too. Also blue and white, but our dishes are blue and white so it worked.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You did a lot of work. Great job! I wish I could do stuff like that. We need this desk painted and I am still waiting for M to do it.

twirl said...

I love before and after pics!