Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Anon

To what degree do you rely on blogging or other avenues, such as MySpace or Facebook, for communication with other people? How much do we rely on our computers for interaction? Are we losing some aspects of relationships by relying on the easy technical availability of email, personal websites, or online picture albums?

I know that I rely on them close to 100%. And sadly it is all one-way communication. Meaning it is me looking at other people's blogs or profile pages to see what is going on in their lives. Rarely do I ever participate in a discussion or even start one. But I am trying to get better.

I look at my MySpace friends and I can tell you what they are all up to. But I couldn't tell you when the last time I actually sent them a message or comment. I forget that just because I know that I am stopping by and checking things out doesn't mean that they do.

But I also like the anonymity. Sometimes I don't want people to know that I read their blogs. Sometimes I don't want to comment leaving a URL because I don't want them to know that I have a blog.

I joined Facebook about 2 weeks ago I think because Jeneflower passworded her site for hiatus purposes. She said that I could join Facebook and keep in touch that way. So I did. And the other day, my mom added me as friend. Now I don't even want to be on Facebook anymore. I like having a part of my life that she doesn't know about. I now feel that I have to censor myself. But how naive is that thinking when I am brazen enough to put my point of view out there for her to see? She could find this blog if she tried. I don't really cover my identity at all.

And I've said before, in a weird twisted way I almost want her to find me here so that she can see how I feel without it being turned on me. But I fear it at the same time. Because even though she aggravates me and frustrates me I don't want to hurt her feelings.

So how often do you interact with the bloggers and internet contacts that you follow? Or do you at all? Do you like being anonymous? Or are you extrovert and enjoy having several more ways to communicate with people?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a terrible communicator so I have a FB account and email and my family blog and my vacantute blog. But I don't always leave comments after reading posts and I hardly ever say anything on FB. Replying to email? Hardly ever. I try so hard but I'm terrible at keeping contact. A lot of it is because I want to say the right thing and need time to think...time I don't have. I also keep in touch with an astronomical amount of people; more than I can handle really. Trying to keep up with everyone is exhausting. I'm constantly playing catch-up and feeling guilty.

What I love is texting. I text with a good friend of mine, just short bursts throughout the day. No obligations, if one of us is busy, the texy sits until we can answer. I wish I could just text everyone. 2 sentences and done, that would be awesome! (But then I couldn't offer any real support so I don't know...have I mentioned I'm a poor communicator?)

xo
Flicka