Monday, February 05, 2007

Resolved and Judge Not

On January 5th this year, our local cable company had to drop the broadcast signal for the local ABC station. The dispute was between the cable company and the broadcasting company. The public was told that the broadcasting company would not renew their contract with the cable company unless the cable company paid them "millions of dollars". The problem with the cable company was that the request was significantly more than they were paying other broadcasting companies, so they were not agreeing to the terms. The broadcasting company was offering a $100 discount (not really a discount, a $10 credit for 10 months) to switch to a satellite provider. I hate satellite, and we have all of our services (phone, internet, and cable) bundled into one bill. So I wasn't going to change just for one channel. But I was heartbroken because its ABC. Hello?! Lost. Soaps. Desperate Housewives. Ugly Betty. I was very upset.

But, this weekend I noticed that we have ABC back!!! I'm so happy and just in time for second half of the Lost season.

On a different tangent. We went to a Super Bowl get together last night with a bunch of people that E works with. One of the couples there has a 3 year old son and she is currently pregnant with another baby. She drank 2 glasses of wine while we were there and she was smoking. I wanted to slap her. I had always thought that their son was a little off. Like not quite 'there' but I attributed it to the fact that I only had Dani to compare to. She was not a typical child. I always got comments that she was advanced for her age. Now, I wonder if he seemed off because she drank while she was pregnant with him too. This is only the second time that I have ever met this woman so I don't know if it is a habit or not. But I wonder how many glasses of wine she had before we got there.

Maybe I just feel strongly against drinking while pregnant because pregnancy would be so rare for me I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize it. But, I thought that what she did was really tacky. Is that judgemental?

2 comments:

Elle said...

my gawd what a dumbass!!! (not you, her) wine on a very rare occasion while pregnant doesn't bother me, but two glasses in one sitting and smoking to boot? What the hell was she thinking?

twirl said...

We were going to lose ABC here too on Jan 1, but we didn't. So glad! I'll be watching Lost too.

I just can't think about the pregnant woman. You're not wrong.