Monday, October 20, 2008

Oops

What do you do when your friend, a straunch Republican (drunk), asks how you are voting on an amendment in your state and you give him the answer (thereby unvieling that you are a Democrat or human.....). And 'lo, it disgrees with his position which opens up a loooong political discussion which leads to everyone feeling very uncomforatable. Maybe I should have said, "I don't know yet." I walked away from the conversation a little uncomfortable, but grateful that I had heard his opinions on things and his reasoning. It made me want to research some topics that he brought up. However, he didn't even look at us the next day.

Throw in military service and dedication and it got bad very quickly.

**Edited to add** Not so insinuate that Repulican's aren't human, rather to say that I am Democrat and human. It is hard to validate my position to someone whose core beliefs are different and it feels as if their opinions of me do not view me on their level. Like I am inferior. Is that more clear? I dunno.

1 comment:

twirl said...

As a republican and a human, I tend to avoid political discussions like the plague. I prefer overused cliches ;)

My close friends know which way I generally lean, so if it comes up no one is surprised and I feel more comfortable talking about it. I'm usually quiet around people I don't know well.

Drunk people aren't typically known for rational debates or conversations regarding sensitive subjects where knowing when to move on is necessary.

Sorry it didn't go well. If they're good friends, they'll still be your friends.