Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Getting Back on my Lame Horse

E and I are gearing up for another cycle. This month I am taking a combo. A pill (same one as last month) to help me ovulate and follicle stim injections. I'm going to throw a question to any of you who have gone this route, whether successful or not. I'm just curious as to what your experiences were good/bad and what I can expect.

I'm also wondering how you feel about Artificial Insemination. E and I were not considering it at first but now it has become a topic of discussion. Our insurance will not cover procedures to conceive that are not intercourse (gotta love anything financed by the government). So, AI, IUI, and IVF would have to be paid out of our pocket. There is no way that we can afford IVF. I'm not clear on what IUI is. Maybe it's the same thing as AI? I do know what AI is and that is what we are considering. It will only be a few hundred dollars and that is an amount that we could make work.

So, have any of you had any hangups on AI if it was an option for you? How did you do giving yourself injections? Is there anything else that I should know? What is IUI? (I'm too lazy to do research)

1 comment:

DD said...

AI and IUI are the same. AI is generally a term used in the veternarian circles. IUI (Intra-Uterine Insemmination) is what your doctor will say.

IUIs can be done with oral, injections, or a combo of the two, but there's usually always a "trigger" shot, which can insure the timing of ovulation meets the clinic's schedule.

The costs associated with any procedure consists of usually the same things, it just depends on the kind and frequency: follicle stimulating hormones (clomid, follistim, gonal-f, etc.), ultrasounds and bloodwork, and the actual procedure.