Monday, July 10, 2006

Protecting Your Young

I feel at a stand still getting the house done. Most everything is unpacked. We want to redo our living room with different furniture and a new home office area but we ran out of money. We got E a little white truck with the cash we had saved up. I also bought E a kayak for Father’s Day, and we had to pay for 20 days of our hotel while we were waiting for the house to close. So, I have all the fantastic ideas for the house, but no money to do it with. In time, our savings will start to grow again, but there are other things that are more important.

First, Dani’s birthday is on the 17th. She will be 5.

5!!!!

My baby!!

5!!!

And I have no idea what we are going to do for her big present. I would like to get her a trampoline. I think she would have a blast if she would actually use it. Some neighbors down the street have an in ground one. That sounds awesome. I would also have to dig up my beautiful green yard.

I would like to throw her a party, but we only know 2 little girls her age. There are several other kids in the neighborhood, but they are all boys and with the exception of one, they are older.

Speaking of older boys, there is one particular boy (8 years old) in our neighborhood that……concerns me. I have named him the Creepy Neighborhood Kid (CNK). This sounds cruel, but I am an adult and he makes me very uncomfortable. There have been some things that he has done while playing with Dani that I find odd. Let me make a list.

1. He knows no boundaries of personal space.

2. The first few times that he came over, Dani would go into her room to get a toy and he would follow her, and immediately close the door. I didn’t think of this much the first time, but after a few minutes, Dani started crying and she said that “he was laying on me”.

3. This caused me to make the rule that doors stay open unless you are in the bathroom.

4. One day when they were playing, I quietly peeked in Dani’s room and she was laying sideways on her bed reading a book. He was standing at her knees with his hands on the bed on either side of her like he was getting ready to get on the bed with her. He jumped away and said, “I’m not doing anything.”

5. Now I have a rule that they aren’t allowed in her room.

6. He picked up E’s cordless drill, that did not have a drill bit in it, and put it to my temple and he said he was going to kill me. I told him, “Oh no, that is absolutely not OK to do at my house.”

7. He told Dani that she was stupid because she didn’t know what 2 + 2 was. She came and asked me if she was stupid and I told her of course not! I explained to CNK that he is twice her age, and he is going into 3rd grade and that she is very smart for a little girl who is not 5 yet.

8. He wanted to play a game with Dani that he was putting her into jail because she was drinking beer and doing drugs. I told him that she doesn’t know what those are, and to please not play games like that.

9. He came into my room following Dani who wanted to ask me a question. She climbed onto my bed next to me to snuggle. He climbed up as well and spooned her. I tried to make a joke out of it and told him to sit up. If he was tired, then he could go home to take a nap.

10. Shortly after that, I made a new rule that they could only play in the front yard and only if Dani wanted to. My reason to him was that if his mother called for him, he would hear her. This also allowed Dani to make the decision if she wanted to play with him or not.

11. The day after I made that rule, I met a new neighbor down the street. She has 4 boys the youngest of which will be 6. She heard me tell CNK that they could play in the yard, not house, and told me, “That’s a good rule to have.” She then proceeded to tell me that 2 days before she had popped open the locked door to her son’s bedroom and found CNK naked on top of her 5 year old son. Let say, someone’s business was in some else’s mouth. He jumped off the bed, blamed it on her son, and then said they weren’t doing anything wrong. She took him home and made him tell his father what happened. He blamed it on her 5 year old saying that he was doing it too.

12. He told me his favorite movie is Chucky.

13. Neighbor with 4 boys (NW4B) has since ‘had it out’ with CNK’s parents and the boys are no longer allowed to play with each other.

14. The CNK told me I was his ‘Love’.

15. He likes to hug me. This is uncomfortable because I have a large chest and his head comes right to it. So, I avoid it at all if possible, if not, I bend down.

16. He told Dani, when he thought that I wasn’t listening, that if she didn’t show him her teeth, he would hit her.

17. His mother called me after NW4B and I met to tell me how wonderful her son is and how sweet, and smart he is.

18. His actions have made me so concerned that I spoke to my doctor about it and asked him what I should teach Dani about inappropriate behavior.

19. When he comes over, he rings the door bell and bangs on the door and peeks through the window until we answer the door.

So, am I overreacting at all by feeling that the next time I see this child will be too soon? You know what else scares me? She will be riding the school bus with him. If he hasn’t isolated her, are there other children in danger? I almost want him to try something so that I can catch him. Then I will have a valid concern to talk to his mother about. However, while on the phone with me, she said repeatedly that she believed in her son. They have had no problems in the 2 years that they have lived here and NW4B has only been here a few months.

You know what else terrifies me? I was molested by classmates from 3rd until 5th grade. It doesn’t only happen from adults. How am I supposed to protect Dani while she is at school? My parents never knew. Will I?

7 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow. That's huge. I think it's certainly time to start telling Dani about things that make her uncomfortable and how she can tell you anything. I wouldn't even hesitate to cut off any play between them. You have to protect her.

That little boy needs help and quickly. Odds are, if he's acting out sexually, he's seen / heard / experienced inappropriate things himself.

Obviously, your first priority is protecting Dani from him. But I wonder if a call to the Department of Human Services expressing your concern about him (and for him) isn't warranted too?

Anonymous said...

OMG that child has been through some major abuse to be acting like that. You are not crazy and you need to do whatever it takes to protect Dani- I think your rules are great. There is a website darknesstolight.org that is about preventing/stopping sexual abuse of kids. They have some good tips that might be helpful. It might be worth teaching Dani some basic self-defense and teaching her that it is okay to hit/push if someone is doing something that makes her physically uncomfortable.
I haven't dealt with sexual abuse personally, but have thought about it more after reading that book "Come Back" that I blogged about and getting to "know" (via internet) the mom. I've talked with my son (also 5) about how no one has a right to make him feel uncomfortable and if anyone tries to touch him in a way that feels weird, he has my permission to deck them (this is huge because hitting has been a big issue for him and we've talked about using words instead of fists).
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the boy might have either been sexually abused himself, or witnessed inappropriate sexual behavior (live or on TV) enough to affect him. That is really sad.

It is a hard call, but maybe you should express your concerns to the mom. I had to call a mom once to say that her child was being mean to my son and that was really hard. If you don't want to do that I would just tell the child that your Dani can't play today every time he comes over and explain that you decided she needs friends her own age.

I am sure there are good Internet sources that can help with giving you some guidance about appropriate behavior. It was a good idea to talk to your doctor.

Anonymous said...

I don't ever comment on people's blogs, but this just has stuck with me and I thought about your situation all night. I'm a teacher and have a friend who had a similar to your neighbor and I am really feeling for her right now. A few things...

1. Do NOT let your daughter play with this boy. It is very unusual for a 3rd grader to want to spend that much time with a 5 year old and when they do, it is important to watch for signs of interest that is inappropriate. You have for sure seen those signs.
2. Don't leave it up to her to say she doesn't want to play with him. She may feel intimidated into saying she does. She needs you to make this decision for her. You can phrase it in a way like this to them both, "I think it's good for kids to play with kids their own age because they know about the same kinds of things, they are interested in the same stuff and their about the same size so they won't accidentally hurt each other."
3.Somebody should call the department of children's services. This child will NO DOUBT go on to hurt someone and it behooves anyone who is aware of this behavior to say something. They likely will not do anything, but it will be documented and that may make a difference later.

Trust your mom instincts and don’t ever be afraid to act on them.

Anonymous said...

I am a mother of two boys, one of which was abused by a teenage neighbor. This has been the worse thing as a parent, wait.. as a person to go thru. Some advice: Act quickly, act strongly, act like a mother bear if you have to. It will save you years of heartache and guilt. You daughter will see a strong mother who is willing to do anything to protect her.....and as a parent, you owe that to her. Koodos to you for picking up on the signs, and having enough sense to keep an eye on things. As far as the mother of the young boy.....I have a feeling she knows way more than she is willing to admit.

Foxxy One said...

I'm a friend of Leggy's and she pointed me to your blog. First of all, I'm sorry you and your daughter have experienced this. That boy has been sexually abused himself and is acting out. I have no doubt in my mind.

First and formost - speak with your daughter. She is old enough to know good touch from bad touch (the only people who can touch you where your bathing suit covers is Mommy, Daddy and the doctor).

Tell her she will never get in trouble no matter what someone tells her and no one can hurt Mommy or Daddy if she does tell. Many preditors assure silence by saying they will kill or hurt the parents of the child.

Next, speak to the teacher, principal or counselor at the boy's school. As horrible as his actions are, they are learned. This child is a victim himself and is crying for help. Please help him find it. If school won't help you - you need to call social services.

And don't, under any circumstances, allow this child to play with your daughter.

~signed~

Adults survivor of sexual abuse

Anonymous said...

Another survivor of childhood abuse here - forgive me if I am blunt - but WTF are you thinking? Get that child out of your child's life. He is completely off-limits to your child. Allowing him some access to your yard etc. "endorses" him in your child's mind.

CALL CPS. CNK needs a hero. He is or has been misused and the most loving thing you can do for him is get the authorities to take a long hard look at his situation. Obviously his parents are in the loop as witnessed by their looking the other way when he molested the other little boy (business in the mouth incident).

Act now. This little boy is going to get bigger and bolder and more violent.

For his sake, for Dani's sake, for all the other little kid's sake. Please call.

I was 7, they were 17 - but they had been doing this for years and no one stopped them. Please be the good guy, and act.