Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Calm Before the Storm

Things are a little better. Last week was the week from Hell. I spent 4 days running back and forth from town requesting documents, and picking them up. I also had an MRI on my back and they wanted me there at the butt crack of dawn.

This week seems to be a little easier. E is due home on Thursday. By a twist of fate I have to go down to Anchorage because our fingerprints for immigration are probably going to expire for before our final court date. Luckily, a work acquaintance of E’s is going down for his graduation so I can bum a ride with him. We can get our prints done on Thursday morning and then we can come right back home. Hopefully we will get the document we need in a timely fashion. The last time we waited for our 171-H for 3 months. I don’t think we have that much time. We have our tentative travel dates. It will be later than we were originally told due to a database error in Moscow. We can’t see our child until she is off the registry and the database error has added another month to that time. Oh, and we need to come up with another $5000 for our expenses while in Russia. It never ends.

E is getting paperwork together to amend his orders. Hopefully the extra month that he is asking for will be approved. Also, hopefully that it will be enough time for us to make our second trip.

Now, we could just move as originally planned, however that would require us to file for a new 171-H when we get to FL.. We would also need new fingerprints in that state, and we may even have to get a whole new homestudy. So it could feasibly add 6-8 months until our adoption is finalized.

Another snafu we are going to run into will be driving into Canada and reentering the States. I don’t know if the Russian birth certificate that we will have will be enough to allow us to take our daughter out of the country and back in. Or into Canada for that matter. If we can’t take her over international borders, then we will have to ship our vehicle and fly to FL.

I am so exhausted and stressed about this.

The weather is unseasonable warm. I don’t trust it. Our temps should still be hovering around 0 yet they are in the high 30’s and low 40’s. Our winter has been eerily mild. I have my guard up and my snow shovel is still poised and ready for action.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Yeah I hear ya, my snow shovel is poised too. I am nervous about how many mosquitos we'll fight this summer if it doesn't stay cold.

Florida, huh? What a climate change for you! I've enjoyed looking at your site and I'll be reading to see how your trip to Russia goes. Hopefully no more delays!

Elle said...

We are lucky in that our fingerprints won't expire until May, but I just got word today that we have to get a home study update and probably do all of our initial dossier over again.

BTW, you commented on Rhonda's blog. You are sure to get a barage of readers now!

Don't lurk, we really don't bite.

Jennefer said...

Hello. Lisa's blog sent me over here. It sounds like you are in this like the rest of. The paper chase and all of the red tape is fun isn't it? Congratulations on your referral.

Maggie said...

I'm always happy to find another blogger whose adopting from Russia. :-)