Thursday, February 10, 2005

Politics and Military

I'm very distressed by the budget proposals that I have heard of Bush's plan. It seems like the very programs that he was campaigning to protect are the same ones that he is now cutting back on. Of course billions are going to homeland security and the military. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Why are the American people so against paying taxes? If everyone paid high taxes for a few years, the budget wouldn't be in crisis and there would be plenty of funding for programs such as prescription drugs, Medicare, and schools.

I'm very upset that we still have troops in Iraq. I understand that the country is going through a difficult reconstruction period but most of the resistance they are experiencing is because of our presence there.

I don't know which country our Commander in Chief is planning on decimating next, but I can tell already that the next four years will be difficult for the military family. I don't understand how an administration who says that family values and structure are so important to our country yet he deliberately separates those same families. Can anyone relate to this experience? Imagine talking with your spouse for 15 minutes once a week. Not seeing eachother for months at a time and having to function as a family unit without a crucial member.

I fully support my husband in anything he chooses, but even he is disturbed by the role that the military plays in the world. He was telling me about the first time he was deployed to the Middle East. He saw jets taking off fully loaded with bombs. A few hours later they came back without those bombs. It was a sad realization for him that those bombs were dropped somewhere and affected someone's life in a bad way. At that point, we weren't even fighting with anyone. So, where were those dropped and why?

It's such a circular problem. I abhor the fact that our military is being viewed as a bully around the world, but I relish living in a country where I can sit in my own home and write about my frustrations with that country.

Well, my day calls.

No comments: