Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spring in my Step

I have caught up with all of my homework. I finished my take home Accounting test. I have all of my writing done for my classes that is due this week. Two more class days and it will be Spring Break. I. can. not. wait.

I barely have an A in Statistics, which is great. That gives me confidence that I might squeak out with a B at the end of the semester. That is the class that is my main concern. By the time I get to that class I am exhausted and starving even though I bring plenty of snacks with me.

Famished have I been, I tell you. FAMISHED. No lie, the other day I swear I ate every 20 minutes. And I crave vegetables. Raw, steamed, pan fried. Zucchini is my favorite right now. I slice one or two in half lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and let it sizzle in a hot skillet. Scrumptious.

E and I have started telling our friends and a few family members our news. There are days when I forget it myself. Neither of us have told our moms. I don't really want to tell my mom, more out of spite than anything else. I'm still really steamed at her for those early years of my teens and how she mothered my siblings, especially my brother. The other part of me not wanting to tell her is that I don't want her getting all sappy and teary, and shrilly. But I don't want to hurt her feelings either. I also don't want a visit. I can't deal with them coming to visit right now and with her having just gotten home from my sister's, I'm sure that is what the whole visit's conversation would be about.

We have told Dani. Quite awhile ago actually. I was throwing up and she got scared so we let her read my pregnancy test. You could have literally knocked her over with a feather. She is very excited and every week we look online at a pregnancy calendar together and we find things around the house that correlate to the baby's size. For example, this week, it is the size of a teaspoon. She ran to the drawer, and got a spoon out and put it against the wall where we have her heights marked. She got to see how small this baby is compared to how 'big' she was when she was born.

She has even gotten out a notebook and basically conducted an interview by asking me what the baby eats, what it will eat after its born, and then when it grows teeth. At this point, she doesn't seem scared, or anxious. Just excited. Me? I'm a typical mother. I worry every day. Pretty much until I feel regular movement, I will worry. But I'm getting through. And it's getting better.

And its spring. The weather is gorgeous. I might even take Dani to the beach on a couple of days over Spring Break. Things are looking good. I'm starting to feel happy.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I am so happy for you! I really pleased to hear things are going well.

Well, you know, excpet for the whole 'mothers' thing, but that's another post for another day. Happy Spring!

Linda said...

Happy Spring! Happy pregnancy, happy sweet, wonderful Dani. :-)

twirl said...

That is so neat about Dani. What a cool way to make a connection to the baby!