Thursday, January 31, 2008

Holy Shit! or What I Did Over Winter Break II

Do you have seatbelts on your computer chairs? You might want to strap yourself in.






After suffering through a 50 day cycle with PMS that wouldn't end. I succumbed and bought a test. Because we all know that when your period won't start, the best thing to do is take a pregnancy test. Hell, I've had my period start on the way home from buying a test. I almost fainted when I saw that second line. I bet you did too. My feelings are..... all over the place.

We've known for a little over a week now so it has sunk in for me. E and I are happy of course, but taken completely by surprise.

Ok, now you know what has been up with me. Now I need some advice.

I got a referral for an OB from my wonderful, fantastic civilian doctor. Unfortunately, my referral is with the local Naval hospital. I didn't think I would get turned back to military care. Which in itself is not entirely bad, but I haven't had the experience where, as a patient, I was a priority.

I know they are insanely busy. I know they have regulations. My first appt. with them is next week on Thursday. While on the phone making this appt. I explained to the woman, I think it was a woman, that this is a completely unexpected pregnancy. Two of my previous three pregnancies resulted in fetal demise which was not detected until 2 weeks after said demise via ultrasound. I stated that I would really like an ultrasound as soon as possible. The woman said that the first appt. will be for bloodwork and an initial counseling session. Then an exam would be scheduled.

I am wondering if it would be out of line for me to again state, given my history, that I want an ultrasound as soon as possible. That day would be wonderful. I don't want a full blown take measurement ultrasound. I just want to know if this baby is alive. If they say no, should I ask to speak to the Commander of the hospital? Tell them that if they can't meet my needs, I want to be under civilian care? Should I cry? Jeneflower, do you have any insight?

4 comments:

Elle said...

Holy shit is right. Holy shit holy shit holy shit.

Girlfriend advocate for yourself. Get that ultrasound no matter what it takes. If there ever was a time to be forceful it is now.

DD said...

If your cycle was 50 days plus, then that would mean you could be as much as 7 weeks, which means a heartbeat could be detected in an US.

If your OB won't do it, get another. You're the one paying for it.

(Oh, and YIPPEE!)

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Wow, I am so excited for you! And scared, mostly because of military healthcare. I don't think it's in appropriate for you to ask for an u/s, even it means talking to the commander. You don't ahve to worry about hurting feelings or being a pain...this is your life and your baby's life. Do what you need to do. I am cheering you on!

Maggie said...

Oh, wow. Congratulations. I know nothing of military care, but I think Elle's advice is good.